About Carve for Cancer Inc.
Carve for Cancer Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to the mission of shredding blood cancers through extreme sports
events and fundraising. Carve was founded by east coast shredder and blood cancer warrior, Brent P. Evans. In 2010, Brent was diagnosed with stage IV non-hodgkins lymphoma when he envisioned an epic snowboarding event to raise funds to shred cancer while being treated at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. By 2012, the first grass roots fundraiser was underway in the Pocono Mountains. Fast forward to 2016, Carve for Cancer Inc. is now a federally recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit and the organizations main event has become the Pocono’s premier free-ride snowboard/ski festival. Each year the event brings thousands to the mountain to enjoy a live music, art demos, intense competition, and a whole lot more. C4C is raising tens of thousands of dollars while spreading awareness and funding life-saving research!
Unfortunately in 2016, Brent’s cancer came back, and he ultimately passed away due to complications with the disease. This is a brutal reminder about how important Carve for Cancer’s mission really is! Today Brent's spirit lives on and our team is hard at work raising more money than ever.
The Future of Carve for Cancer Inc.
Our vision for Carve for Cancer is bold and exciting. We have 3 strategic initiatives that we hope to bring to fruition over the next 3-5 years.
- Expand on the overwhelming success of the Carve for Cancer Winter Festivals:
- Not only do we plan to grow the the current event in the Poconos, C4C plans to expand to regional mountains across the United States. First we plan on finding partner mountains in the Northeast and diversify West from there. Look our for a Carve for Cancer event in your backyard!
- Diversify in the action sports areana
- Carve for Cancer does not want to be limited to skiing/snowboarding. Soon Carve will begin expanding into new action sports events including, Longboard Skating and Surfing. Our first step toward this goal was achieved with tremendous success at Kick for Cancer 2016.
- Mobilize and increase outreach
- Our final initiative that will begin late 2017, is to mobilize and begin raising money through our dedicated network of volunteers and supporters across the country. This means finding Carve Ambassadors to organize local events dedicated to increasing the fundraising capabilities of Carve for Cancer Inc. Think you have what it takes to be a Carve Ambassador? Email us at: Ambassadors@Carve4Cancer.com
Where Our Money Goes
For years Carve for Cancer partnered directly with the Leukema and Lymphoma Society (LLS) and all funds raised went directly to their organization. In 2016 we have decided to focus our efforts by partnering with Dr. Andrei Shustov and University of Washington, Medicine Advancement, where our donations have earned us membership in their Turner Society.
Dr. Shustov is Associate Professor, Division of Hematology at UW Medicine, and Associate Member of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. He is doing groundbreaking work in the field of Hepatosplenic T-Cell Lymphoma. T-cell lymphomas are rare and therefore hard to study. They are, except for rare instances, very aggressive diseases and are very hard to cure. Over the past decade, Dr. Shustov has been involved in research dedicated to better understanding these tumors and discover new drugs to improve outcomes and ultimately, bring a cure to T-cell lymphoma patients.
As a result of the research and clinical trials, Dr. Shustov and his colleagues around the USA and globe, patients with T-cell lymphomas now have 4 new drugs that were approved by the US Food and Drug administration. However, the only way to continue this life-saving research is with adequate funding… and that’s where Carve for Cancer comes in!
Carve for Cancer Inc. is a team is comprised of 100% unpaid volunteers brought together by a common passion to help end the suffering associated with blood cancers. As such, you can always guarantee we are committed to making the money you entrust to us to go as far as possible. Of course, like any organization we have limited overhead for things like producing events and spreading awareness, but you can be sure the vast majority of our funds raised will always directly impact cancer research and/or those suffering. When our founder, Brent Evans, started this organization he one goal: to Shred Blood Cancer. This is, and always will be, what this organization seeks to accomplish.